Pink Lemonade is the new Red Velvet (of summer)
So I have a new cupcake recipe that we tried that is the perfect spring/summer refresher. Yes cupcake and refreshing can be used in the same phrase, especially if they are Pink Lemonade! Make sure you try these babies out and have fun biting into these while enjoying the outdoors! They taste as good as they look… and take no time to make!
I just love this recipe… its not your typical cupcake flavour and that’s what is so great. Also remember this is something you can have fun with, it doesn’t always have to be pink lemonade, any lemonade flavour will work. But once you try these out… good luck swaying away!
- 4 ½ large egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (you all know my rule, room temperature)
- ¾ of a lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup milk (to be honest I use whatever I have in the fridge)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour (don’t be afraid to add a little more)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate (thawed out do not put in freezer)
- Red or Pink Food Colouring
- A pinch of salt
- Pick your favourite butter cream icing recipe
- Add 7-8 tablespoons frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed (this may change depending on the thickness you want your icing to be)
- Red or Pink Food Colouring
Make it pretty with a touch of Garnish:
- Fun straws cut into 3
- 20 muffin tins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F… because it’s the most annoying thing to forget and line your cupcake liners…
- In a bowl whisk together the egg whites, milk and your lemon zest. (Do NOT mix with mixer make sure you WHISK because this will cause it to turn into a meringue like texture)
- In a large bowl mix together your butter and sugar. Mix for approx. 2 min until smooth and fully combined!
- Sift together baking powder and salt and all purpose flour in another separate bowl. Slowly add into butter mix and until combined.
- Slowly add in the egg mix on high until combined. About a full minute to 2 minutes.
- The fun part is to now add in your pink lemonade and mix until combined and fluffy. Add in pink food colouring OR a few drops of red (the point is to get it pink not red) Try it out and at this point you can pick and choose how much more of a lemonade kick you want!
- Bake at 350° for about 14-16 minutes with your cupcake liners filled no higher than just over the half way mark. (DO NOT LEAVE IN LONGER THEY WILL END UP HARD)
- Remove from cupcake pans and place cupcakes on cooling rack!
Directions for Icing and Garnish:
- Pick your favourite butter cream icing recipe adding about 7-8 tbsps of pink lemonade. Use the amount of tablespoons to your discretion, taste it and see if it’s too much or too little (If it’s too watery you can always add in more icing sugar)
- Add in pink food colouring OR a few drops of red (the point is to get it pink not red)
- Add your adorable straws that you cut in 3 to your piped icing and get ready to hit the road.
- Pack them in an air tight container to keep them from hardening.
FEEDBACK FROM EXTRA SPARKLES PLEASE
My advice is try not to use the cupcake liners with aluminium on the inside. I find that they cook at a totally different pace and not the same at all, they are cute but I try to avoid them.
Secondly do not leave these in to long…. they will harden quite a bit so unless your toothpick is a watery mess take them out because they still cook when they are out of the oven!